Michael's Message - FIVE IDEAS for Maximum IMPACT for Sequim's Seniors
Have you ever considered the idea that donations to Shipley Center do not have to be just monetary, out of pocket? Your Center needs funds year ’round for its operating budget, to keep it in the business of providing opportunities for Friendship, Recreation and Education to Sequim’s seniors.
Here are FIVE ways you could make an impact and leave a legacy of generosity:
- Have you taken your “RMD” from your IRA yet? Did you know that you can still get a tax break on your charitable giving ON TOP OF the new hi gher standard deduction? If you are 70.5 years old and own a traditional IRA, you can donate your RMD – or amounts above that – up to $100,000 per year, tax free. Money is tramserred directly from your IRA custodian to the charity of your choice .. which we hope is Sequim Senior Services, dba Shipley Center! You will thus avoid the taxes you would normally pay on it.
One of our members recently used this strategy to donate $1,000; and, another gave $2,500 in this manner! Wow! We need 4-figure gifts every year, and a 5-figure gift would really be awesome to see, too! The IRS calls this a QCD or Qualified Charitable Distribution.
- Donations Of Property. Have you heard those catchy musical ads for donating your car, RV, or boat to Kars for Kids on the radio? Well, you can donate the proceeds of a vehicle sale locally to Shipley Center!
If you agree to donate a minimum of 50% of the sale price of your car, we will take photos of it, help you advertise it on the internet, AND when it sells you will get a tax benefit! Cars, motorcycles, scooters, electric wheelchairs, trucks, RVs, mobile homes! In most cases, we do not take title; we just help you sell it … and you donate the cash! So let’s get that item you don’t need any more sold!
Real Estate can also be donated and may be kept for rental income for the Center or sold. Let us know what you envision.
- Donate your coin, rare currency, bullion, or stamp collection! We have an eBay account and are able to list coins, stamps, precious metals, etc. We will take care of marketing and shipping the items, and you will get a tax deduction!
- MBM (Members Giving Monthly) Club: Sign up and even a small amount helps to add up to a large donation. Over the course of a year, a minimum amount of $8.34 per month makes you into a $100 donor! Many have chose $10, $25, $50 or even $100 per month. You choose whatever is affordable for you.
- The 5% Solution. Did you know? If all our members would put Shipley Center as beneficiary for just 5% to 10% of their estates, we probably would not have to ever raise money again! Please consider putting your senior center in your will! Our legal name is Sequim Senior Services, dba Shipley Center. We appreciate the wonderful legacies that R. Leo Shipley, Shirley Foss, Peggy Moon Anderson, Janice Seiler, and others have left to help continue our valuable work.
Don’t want to touch your will? Did you know you can change beneficiaries on other assets to give outside of the boundaries of your will? Life insurance, annuities, brokerage accounts, IRAs, mutual funds, bank CDs, and more. Washington State law says these must all let you name a beneficiary, but many people do not, letting the amount go through probate, etc. Take advantage of this ability to name a beneficiary and take control of where your assets will go.
Donations are also needed for our Health & Wellness Annex Building Fund. By helping Shipley Center financially, you make it possible for Sequim to continue to have a thriving nonprofit senior center. You choose the destination of your gift!
Thanks for your continued and loyal support of your Center! Feel free to contact me with your thoughts or questions on any of these five high-impact giving methods!