Michael's Message - FOR-Impact > NON-Profit!
Who remembers the 1990’s comedy show, Dinosaurs, on TV? It was about a working class family, the Sinclair’s, set in 60,000,000 BC. The dinosaurs were large puppets, inspired by Muppets creator, Jim Henson.
The father, Earl Sinclair, pushed down trees for a living for the Wesayso Corporation. (There were many references to the oil industry in the series, using names like Sinclair for the family, Ethyl the mother-in-law, and Earl’s boss named Bradley P. “BP” Richfield.)
When Earl came home from a hard day of work, he wanted to be welcomed and respected. But the way Baby Dinosaur greeted him grated on Earl’s nerves. Being at home all day with Momma, Baby, son seeing Earl from his highchair, would loudly blurt out “NOT the Momma!”
Baby would not say “Daddy” and the recurring joke from 1991 to 1994 was Earl trying to get his son to call him “Daddy”! He was tormented by his son’s, “NOT the Momma! NOT the Momma!” identifying him constantly by what he was not.
Nonprofit organizations can fall into the same predicament as Earl. By stressing the NOT in not-for-profit, the mission, or IMPACT of what we do can be lost.
So, I’d like us to refer to ourselves as Shipley Center as a FOR-Impact organization, instead of a “non” or “not” organization.
- Shipley Center is FOR you, the man, woman or couple that wants a fun place to do things.
- We are FOR friendship, recreation and education.
- We are FOR healthier bodies, for active minds, for engaging volunteer opportunities.
- We are FOR providing a place to get help with your taxes, your computer, your health insurance, your feet, your stress, your diabetes.
- Shipley Center is FOR affordable meals and socializing in our Café.
- We are FOR providing great customer service at our front desk.
- We are FOR excellence in our newsletter, our website, and in all of our communications.
- We are FOR great trips on the bus, fun games, and good food.
Shipley Center is FOR thinking ahead and planning FOR the future. That’s why we are moving ahead with plans to build a new Health & Wellness Annex across the street. As you plan your end-of-year giving, please be FOR what we are trying to accomplish, so we can do MORE of what we are FOR!
During this holiday season, I wish …
- FOR you and your extended family to be healthy and happy.
- FOR there to be a bit more “holy” in the holidays this year.
- FOR our troops to be protected and appreciated now and when they come home.
- FOR wisdom and guidance for those who make and enforce our laws.
- FOR peace on earth, peace in our hearts … and a piece of my wife’s pecan pie!
I wish FOR YOU to have a memorable, warm and Merry Christmas … Happy Hanukkah … Happy Holidays … and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!