Michael's Message - The Cafe Turns Three and is Full of Surprises!
The Times They are A’changin’!
As expressed in the Pete Seeger ’60’s folksong, the times are a-changing … and as Shipley’s The Café turns three this year, we find we have to adjust its heading and trim its sails.
Certainly, The Café is a pleasant place to hang out and have great food, socializing with friends, or dropping in for that breakfast, lunch, or cup of coffee on the way to or from the Center happenin’s, but it’s still a little wobbly on the water.
Beginning Monday, June 3rd, in efforts to improve its financial sea-worthiness, you will notice changes to The Café’s menu:
- Breakfast choices will still include all your favorites, served 9am to 2pm, M- F
- Every day, there will be three appetizing lunch choices:
- Homemade soup or chili
- Chef Kurt’s Special, which could be an entree or hearty, healthy salad
- A Lunch of the Day for only $6.95, which will rotate throughout the month. (See June’s schedule for the Lunch of the Day on page 6 of the Newsletter.
- Five Dollar Friday will be replaced by a $1 off any “To Go” meal of $6.50 or more, every Friday.
- Paid Staff Hours in The Café will be reduced, one of the staff members becoming largely responsible for the catering jobs instead. Our successful and ever-growing number of catering bookings serve as fundraisers for The Café’s bottom line. (If you have an event in mind needing a caterer, call us!)
- Volunteers: We will depend more than ever on our incredible volunteers to assist Kurt in providing you an affordable dining experience. Let us (Kurt / Michael / Mimi Sutton) know if YOU would be willing to spare a few hours of your time, once a week, to help your Café and your Center. Your efforts would be greatly appreciated.
We CANNOT run The Café without volunteers!
ONE FINAL NOTE: As you may not be aware, our dedicated chef and volunteers forego receiving tips; and all the proceeds of the Tip Jar go to helping The Café’s bottom line. You are encouraged to tip generously!
So, let’s help our little Café flourish:
- Enjoy often, leaving a generous tip!
- Consider looking into volunteering if you are up for fun and a challenge!
- Tell a friend! Bring a friend! Show your support for The Café to keep it healthy and strong, sailing confidently into a brighter future!
Hope to see you at The Café real soon!